The following post is by PETA celebrity
marketing coordinator Lauren Gordon.

Each October, Halloween ushers in its own brand of awesomeness in the
form of pumpkins, candy, and costumes. Spider webs and creepy decorations set the stage for ghost
stories and trick-or-treating. But holiday fun for humans can translate into
hazards for companion animals. Halloween is the busiest time of year for the Pet Poison Helpline because companion animals often accidentally ingest Halloween candy or décor.
Check out the following tips to help keep your furry friends safe and happy
this Halloween season:

  • Keep your animals inside around Halloween
    and away from the front door during trick-or-treating. Animals can become
    excited or threatened by visitors, so keep them in a separate and enclosed room
    where they can remain calm—this also eliminates the risk that they will escape.
    Don’t leave dogs in the yard because they can escape or be subjected to torment
    by passersby. As an added precaution, make sure that your animal companions
    wear identification at all times. And if you’re going trick-or-treating, don’t take
    your animals with you.
  • Although all cats should be indoor
    cats
    , this is even more important during the month of October—especially if
    you have a black
    cat
    . Black cats are often associated with dark forces and are an easy
    target for Halloween pranksters who commit violent acts against unsuspecting
    kitties. You can also help
    black cats this Halloween
    by supporting PETA’s SNIP mobile clinic.

    • Decorations pose a threat to dogs, cats, and
      other animals. Keep your animal companions away from jack-o-lanterns, candles,
      balloons, or other decorations that they could ingest, become tangled in, or be
      injured by.
    • One of the biggest hazards to four-legged friends during
      Halloween is candy. Keep
      candy in secure containers and in an area that your animal companions cannot
      gain access to. Chocolate is toxic to dogs, and sugary candy can lead to pancreatitis.
      Raisins, certain nuts, and xylitol (an artificial sweetener found in some gums
      and candies) can also be poisonous to furry friends. Plus, animals don’t remove
      the wrappers from candy and may try to eat discarded wrappers—ingesting these
      wrappers can cause choking or life-threatening bowel obstruction.
    • If you think your animal companion has ingested
      something, symptoms to watch for include vomiting, diarrhea,
      lethargy, not defecating or straining to defecate, agitation, increased thirst,
      an elevated heart rate, and in severe cases, seizures. Contact your
      veterinarian or the Pet Poison
      Helpline
       immediately.

    Do not hesitate to
    contact your veterinarian or the 24-hour Pet Poison Helpline immediately at
    1-800-213-6680 if you suspect that your animal companion has ingested something
    or might be injured.

    Keep these numbers on hand for quicker response—the faster that you can get
    help, the less your animal companion will suffer and the more likely he or she will
    make a speedy recovery. Learn more about keeping your animal pals safe on
    Halloween here.

    Promise to help keep homeless animals,
    including cats, safe this Halloween and beyond by signing
    PETA’s pledge right now
    !

    GD Star Rating
    loading...

    Article source: PETA Action Alerts

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *