December 3, 2015
Create a feeding wreath for critters to enjoy this holiday season
- a straw or grapevine wreath (available at craft stores)
- wildflower or grass seed heads (such as sunflowers, purple coneflowers, grass, wheat or rye)
- twigs, pinecones and evergreens
- peanut butter and birdseed
- plain, unsalted popped popcorn
- fresh cranberries
- cotton twine and needle
1. Go outdoors and collect materials such as pinecones, twigs and greens. If you don’t have flower or grass seed heads, ask a neighbor who has them if you can have a few.
2. Stick the twigs and greens into the wreath.
3. Mix the peanut butter and bird seed, then stuff the pinecones with the mixture. Attach them to the wreath with twine.
4. Attach the seed heads around the wreath. (If you don’t have access to seed heads, skip this step.)
5. String the popcorn and cranberries on the twine, then wrap it around the wreath, as you would ribbon or garland. Make extra to drape on trees and bushes.
6. Ask an adult to help you hang the wreath outdoors in a spot where critters can reach it safely and you can watch them enjoy it.
Article source: HSUS