November 18, 2016
The Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, which is a world-renowned animal sanctuary that is home to almost 1,000 domestic and exotic animals, many of whom have been rescued from near-death situations such as slaughterhouses, biomedical research laboratories, and trophy hunting ranches, seeks Animal Care Interns to help care for a variety of species. Four types of internships are available (click each to view an expanded position description): Equine, Primate, Vet Tech, and Wildlife.
Interns have the opportunity to gain valuable hands-on animal care experience, knowledge about a variety of species, and exposure to the operations of an animal care center.
Some specific internship responsibilities include:
- Preparation of diets and feed/water in measured amounts using diet instructions
- Clean and maintain enclosures, which may include raking, weeding, sweeping platforms, and climbing ladders up to 8 feet
- Complete daily husbandry practices, provide behavioral enrichment and stimulation on a daily basis
- Keep track of animal feedings on forms and feeding board, fill out medication records completely, keep track of observations on feeding sheets, and note appropriate behavioral and health concerns
- Complete general housekeeping tasks
- Assist with administering minor medical treatments following veterinary staff instructions for medical treatments and give treatments at appropriate times
Please apply to join us if you meet the following requirements:
- Must be minimum 18 years old
- Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
- Able to show proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) test
- Mature individual with the ability to handle physically and emotionally stressful situations, a demanding workload, and the ability to work independently or as a team
- Possess a strong personal work ethic, a high level of integrity, and a high level of professionalism
- Tetanus pre-exposure rabies vaccinations are recommended but not required
We are currently accepting applications for the following sessions:
- Spring 2017 (Feb. 27, 2017—May 19, 2017)
- Summer 2017 (May 29, 2017—Aug. 18, 2017)
Internship time commitment is approximately 40 hours per week for 12 weeks. Please note our location (Murchison, Texas) and any travel arrangements you may need to make before applying as an intern.
This internship is unpaid; however, free housing may be available and course credit can be arranged. Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability.
To apply, fill out an application below. Note: you will be asked to submit a cover letter, résumé, completed Essential Capabilities document, and three letters of recommendation/references with the application.
Please select an internship from the list below. You’ll have the chance to indicate other roles you’re interested in at the end of the application process.
Article source: HSUS