September 21, 2017
In the wake of Hurricane Maria many are looking for ways that they can help the people and animals affected. Here’s how you can help during this urgent time:
What you can do:
- Animal rescuers from Humane Society International are currently deployed to areas impacted by Hurricane Maria. Your support is urgently needed: both so rescuers can help during this emergency and when future disasters strike.
- Spread the word on social media. Retweet our hurricane updates from @HumaneSociety and @HSIGlobal and share our latest posts from The HSUS and Humane Society International Facebook pages.
- Get the training you need to lend a hand in times of crisis. Sign up to volunteer with The Animal Rescue Team and be on the front lines for animals.
What not to do:
- Your safety and that of your family and pets comes first. Do not put yourself in danger. If you see a person or animal in distress, call emergency services.
- Please do not attempt to drive donation items into areas impacted by Hurricane Maria, as many roads could be flooded and dangerous.
- It is also essential not to detract time or resources from emergency responders. Unless you are a trained professional who has already received official orders, do not “self deploy” to areas impacted by the hurricane. Do not call emergency services unless you are experiencing or witnessing a life-threatening emergency firsthand. For information and updates, tune in to your local radio station or news broadcast.
Article source: HSUS