February 22, 2018
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization , is seeking a State Director for the State Affairs department. The primary purpose of this position is to carry out national and state agendas and priorities within the state of Iowa.
This position will be responsible for:
- Planning, developing, and implementing strategies to carry out assigned national and state agendas, state and federal legislative priorities, ballot initiatives and campaigns and assessing state needs and making recommendations;
- Advancing state and federal legislative priorities and tracking and monitoring the legislation in the assigned state in conjunction with regional and governmental affairs departments;
- Will also be conducting lobbying and meeting activities with legislators and governmental offices, providing legislative testimony and attending legislative hearings;
- Incumbent will build activist coalitions and work with grassroots supporters to strengthen and expand Humane Action Network within the state and provide training for citizen lobbyists;
- Establishing and building working relationships with government agencies and serve on government-appointed committees dealing with farm animals, wildlife, companion animals, and other organizational-based interests;
- Encouraging and facilitating the application and enforcement of animal cruelty laws and responding to cruelty complaints while providing guidance and support to local investigators and enforcement officials to include hands-on assistance when appropriate;
- Working with the campaigns department and the regional office in support of major campaigns seen as priority campaigns for the state;
- Seeking media opportunities and initiating and responding to media requests relating to legislation, cruelty, and other animal protection issues and working with the public relations staff, will also be responsible for writing op-ed pieces and press releases, giving media interviews and writing related articles for a regional newsletter and regional web page articles.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience;
- Minimum of two years of experience with legislative, lobbying, and/or campaign/volunteer management experience required;
- Two or more years of experience in animal protection issues preferred;
- Must have strong organizational skills and able to set and meet objectives and deadlines;
- Strong oral and written communication skills required along with ability to influence without authority to build and foster relationships;
- Must possess strong public speaking and interpersonal skills;
- Must be able to work extended hours and assist in the field for various animal-related activities;
- Must be able to travel 35-50% of the time both for local trips within the state as well as outside of the area;
- Proficient with MS Office.
Please submit a cover letter and resume using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position will be based out of a home office location within the state of Iowa.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»
Article source: HSUS