March 21, 2018
The Humane Society of The United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Vice President, Farm Animals for its affiliate Humane Society International (HSI). The main responsibilities of this senior-level role will be planning, budgeting, staffing, implementing and evaluating the HSI Farm Animals program and guiding a team while collaborating with country offices and other departments to ensure teamwork and cohesion. This position is expected to provide input to the organization’s business strategy and to make major program decisions, subject to higher level approval.
This position will be responsible for:
- Developing a strategy to drive sustainable financial results and operational performance of the department and leading the efforts for long-term organization initiatives;
- Influencing and/or engaging an extensive network of internal and external relationships in support of the overall effectiveness of the department’s operations and the achievement of critical organizational goals;
- Making budget decisions for the program with full accountability;
- Championing norms and culture across the program;
- Resolving complex problems for the program and implementing solutions that entail organizational cross-functional coordination;
- Leadership and career development of staff and identifying and developing potential successors;
- Leading and supervising staff and country offices in the development of long and short-term program and campaign strategies;
- Identifying financial and staff resources needed to implement program and campaign strategies including developing job descriptions and funding proposals around those needs;
- Monitoring progress of departmental programs and campaigns, working with staff and country offices to overcome obstacles and revise strategies, as needed;
- Ensuring effective systems for sharing the latest science, technology, policy changes, and other information staff and consultants need to perform their jobs;
- Advising staff, consultants, and related teams on all aspects of their work including communications with internal and external stakeholders; creating opportunities for staff and consultants around the world to connect directly with each other and share expertise;
- Ensuring compliance with HSUS/HSI organizational policies and procedures;
- Leading the development of communications materials for different stakeholders in the supply chain for eggs and meat, including governments, food companies, farmers/agribusiness companies, investors, and consumers and ensuring HSI’s print, on-line, and multimedia materials related to farm animal protection are accurate, compelling, and in-line with the organization’s messaging guidelines;
- Representing HSI Farm Animals department to government officials and agencies across the world and in major corporate roundtables and other industry fora; and to other civil society groups and stakeholders across the world (including new markets that HSI is just entering);
- Coordinating and collaborating with other HSUS/HSI departments in order to maximize impact and likelihood of success;
- Meeting regularly with donors/supporters and speaking at fundraising events;
- Providing reports to the Board of Directors as required and may serve on Board of Directors selected initiatives.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree is preferred;
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive functional experience required along with six years of management experience also required;
- Must have superior leadership skills with demonstrated knowledge and understanding of staff management practices and ability to establish accountabilities and expectations and managing performance to achieve results;
- Superior communication (written and verbal) skills required with the ability to translate information into a meaningful, understandable context and message, regardless of the format (e.g., documents, public speaking situations, presentations, etc.);
- Solid knowledge of business operations, including budget development and management processes, as well as the ability to translate strategic thinking into action plans;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to influence others, internal and external to HSI, as well as for facilitating meetings and conducting public speaking/presentations;
- Demonstrated fundraising experience as well as the ability to meet with and represent the HSI farm program with existing and potential supporters;
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with the ability to meet time-sensitive deadlines and deliverables;
- Thorough knowledge of and commitment to animal protection issues, with a strong preference for farm animal issues;
- Demonstrated understanding of a broad range of strategies and tools to improve animal welfare in the food sector including corporate policy, public policy, and education;
- Must have a strong understanding of supply chains (for eggs, meat, milk) and the complex network of stakeholders in the food industry in different regions along with a basic understanding of animal behavior and welfare science, and environmental science (particularly the environmental impacts of animal agriculture on the environment);
- Must have proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (i.e., WORD, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- The ability to work long hours should a crisis situation arise and ability to travel extensively;
- Fluency in a foreign language strongly preferred.
Please submit a cover letter and resume using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is based in Washington, DC.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»
Article source: HSUS