March 21, 2018
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Staff Attorney for the Animal Protection Litigation deparatment. The primary purpose of this position will be to draft briefs and other legal pleadings, petitions and comment letters and conduct legal and factual research relating to farm animal protection.
This position will be responsible for:
- Litigating ongoing matters in federal and state courts relating to farm animals, including conducting legal and factual research, drafting complaints, briefs and other legal pleadings and appearing in court;
- Developing new legal matters to file in federal and state courts and administrative agencies and seeking out opportunities for HSUS to get involved in litigation that implicate farm animal welfare;
- Responding to staff and management requesting legal research and advice for use in advocacy on behalf of farm animals including drafting and reviewing administrative comments and testimony before legislative and regulatory bodies, organizational reports, press releases and other official statements of the organization;
- Providing legal advice on farm animal protection to external entities including governmental staff in state and federal agencies and other entities as appropriate;
- Assisting in drafting and reviewing of legislative and regulatory policy on behalf of farm animals.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Juris Doctorate degree required;
- Minimum two years’ experience in the legal field required;
- Prior litigation experience required;
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong research skills and ability to manage own caseload;
- Must have ability to exercise independent professional judgment and have strong knowledge of laws affecting farm animals and administrative laws.
Please submit a cover letter and resume using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is based in Washington, DC.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»
Article source: HSUS