June 27, 2018
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking an Animal Caregiver II for our Duchess Sanctuary in Oakland, Oregon. The sanctuary provides a permanent home to more than 190 rescued horses and donkeys. The main responsibility of this position is to provide and oversee all aspects of the horses care and maintenance of the sanctuary grounds.
This position will be responsible for:
- Feeding, watering, and medicating horses;
- Observing horses for signs of injury, illness, or other significant changes and communicating any problems to veterinarian if required;
- Maintaining and repairing fences, water sources, paddocks, and pastures and managing manure in all enclosures;
- Assisting with the repair and maintenance of shelters, barns, and water systems;
- Performing landscaping and pasture management duties including mowing;
- Assisting with or performing safe/humane handling of animals during treatments and other handling routines and maintaining procedures to minimize stress on animals;
- Providing additional care for horses including blanketing and therapeutic exercise;
- Assisting with health care record maintenance;
- Maintaining and ordering supplies;
- Monitoring, training and supervising volunteers.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent required;
- Minimum of three years of experience in a ranch environment, specifically with equine;
- Knowledge of how to safely work with a wide range of horses;
- Strong knowledge of how to safely operate farm equipment;
- Basic understanding of infrastructure repair and the ability to use related tools for building, plumbing, and other maintenance;
- Excellent observational, communication, and organizational skills;
- Ability to follow written directions and record observations;
- Reliable and flexible attendance is essential to providing optimum animal care;
- Ability to communicate effectively with other staff members, volunteers, and supervisors;
- Familiarity with Word, Excel, Email, and the Web;
- Ability to work independently while juggling multiple tasks;
- Must be able to endure occasional long workdays and maintain focus, accuracy and physical activities required by the job, and work in adverse weather conditions, outside, and potentially at night;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays.
Please submit a cover letter and resume using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is based in Oakland, Oregon.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»
Article source: HSUS