October 17, 2018
The Humane Society of the United States, the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking a Lead Field Technician for the Wildlife Protection Department. This position will be responsible for working on Prairie Dog Coalition (PDC) field projects including relocation, translocation, habitat enhancements and non-lethal management strategies.
This position will be responsible for:
- Working as a team member with PDC staff members, interns, and volunteers to relocate prairie dogs as instructed;
- Following PDC relocation procedures on project sites, independently handling all aspects of the relocation process and making decisions regarding field schedules and procedures on trap and release site;
- Managing seasonal field technicians and interns;
- Reporting any issues with the relocation site to the PDC Director, Program Manager and PDC staff members;
- Safely handling wildlife while relocating to alternative site that is safe and providing appropriate environment for continued survival.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Good written and oral communication skills in order to be able to communicate clearly to PDC team during prairie dog field projects;
- Good analytical and critical thinking skills in order to be able to problem solve during field projects and be able to observe animal behavior in the field;
- Working knowledge of prairie dog issues and knowledge of the prairie ecosystem;
- Maintain enthusiasm and strategic thinking to help drive priority issues and goals forward;
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills with demonstrated flexibility, and the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity;
- Must be able to work outdoors in variable and sometimes extreme weather conditions;
- Ability to work around wildlife and in physically demanding environments;
- Must be able to follow safety protocols set by the PDC on field sites, which may include but are not limited to: being aware of surrounding, wearing appropriate clothing for duty, and keeping cell-phone on person at all times;
- Must be able to travel extensively.
Please submit a cover letter and resume using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This is a remote position.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Back to Employment Opportunities»
Article source: HSUS